Remodeling your kitchen can give you an excellent return-on-investment, and it can bring you joy for years to come whenever you cook, clean, and entertain in your new space. But without proper planning, your new kitchen may fall short in the end. Avoid these common mistakes when it comes to a kitchen remodel, and talk through your ideas with a local contractor before beginning the process.
- Hiring an amateur or doing it yourself: The kitchen is a part of your home you should never try to renovate without the help of a trained professional. Most of the steps involved in a major kitchen renovation are complicated and costly, and many tasks legally require the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
- Neglecting the lighting: Don’t overlook the small stuff. Excellent lighting can open up a small kitchen and make it feel larger. Plus, it’s way easier to slice, mince, peel, and wash with adequate lighting in every part of the kitchen: under cabinets, above stoves, and over an island.
- Going too high-tech: Picking a new fancy gadget as a permanent fixture in your home over a more practical appliance may be a mistake. Years ago, trash compactors were all the rage, but today they offer no return-on-investment and may even be a hindrance when it comes to selling a home. Forgo that built-in coffee maker or induction burner and go for a second oven instead.
- Settling for less: While we recommend standard appliances and kitchen features for better ROI, you still shouldn’t settle for a kitchen you don’t enjoy using. If you’ve always dreamed of an island range, go for it. If you want custom cabinetry for a kitchen you plan to have for the next ten years, we highly recommend it. Don’t settle for less than you deserve for the sake of universality.
- Focusing on the present: If you plan to live in your current home for a while, you may want to make the kitchen more accessible for any future residents (like children), and practical for people of all ages. Make sure the kitchen is easy to navigate, and that everyone is able to reach the items they need.
Considering a new kitchen this holiday season? Save 10% on your new kitchen when you mention this ad at the time of booking your appointment. Call AGA Construction, Inc. for a free estimate in Studio City, CA.